*How Igbo Mandate Congress Raised Alarm*
The Position of SGF has finally been ceded to the North East by President Muhammadu Buhari, after months
of gang-up by Igbo politicians within PDP and APC against each other.
[Image: Ogbonnaya Onu]
Igbo Mandate Congress (IMC), in a warning to Igbo leaders and the public, released through a well-publicized press statement, gave hints that Buhari will cede the position to another zone if our house is not put in order. The principal blackmail target was Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, followed by Dr Chris Ngige
The leaderships of Igbo Mandate Congress even had audience with some of those mentioned in the said press release and warned of the intelligence reports that another zone might pick up the coveted position if the current blackmail continues. Now it has happened as forewarned, Engr David Lawal from Adamawa, North East Nigeria has been appointed Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
Those Igbo leaders in PDP and APC who sold each other before President Buhari should better keep their dirty mouth shut at this time before IMC exposes how their selfishness caused the Igbo the position of SGF.
Had President Buhari intimated a week before the appointment that Mr Kachikwu of Igbo extraction will be the GMD of NNPC, these political riff rats would have given 20 reasons why he is not as fit as their preferred choice for the top post, leading to the latter being blacklisted.
For record purposes, Igbo Mandate Congress does hereby represent a copy of its press release of June 16th over the controversial issue of SGF.
SGF: Buhari and the PDP Gang-up Against Ogbonnaya Onu-IMC Raises Alarm
It is with deep sense of regret that the leadership of Igbo Mandate Congress (IMC) received reports of massive gang-up against Chief Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, President Buhari’s preferred choice for the position of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) by some elements within APC and opposition PDP.
Igbo Mandate Congress have followed the relationship between President Muhammadu Buhari and the leaders of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in the South East notable among whom is Chief Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, Senator Chris Ngige and Chief Rochas Okorocha, and we have it on good records that the incumbent President has respect for the trio.
The level of mudslinging, blackmail and campaign of calumny and gang-up against Chief Ogbonnaya Onu of recent has attracted the attention of IMC. Information reaching us has outlined those campaigning against Ogbonnaya Onu’s candidacy for the post of SGF as including;
1. Chief Rochas Okorocha, Governor of Imo State who prefers his in-law, and former Imo State SSG, Prof Anthony Anwuka for the position
2. Chief Dave Umahi, Governor of Ebonyi State who believes that an Ogbonnaya Onu as SGF from Ebonyi State will dwindle the political fortunes of the PDP in the next dispensation
3. Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, Nigeria’s immediate past SGF who was not able to make even his principal, Goodluck Jonathan execute any tangible project in the South East for the four years he was in office, the 2nd Niger Bridge and Enugu International Airport being ‘419’ on the Igbo Nation. This man believes that Onu’s influence will whittle down his own influence in the State
4. Chief Ike Ekweremadu, Deputy Senate President, who is being pressurized to join the blackmail Ogbonnaya Onu campaign, so as to maintain the supremacy of the PDP in the Enugu-Ebonyi State axis
5. Chief Rotimi Amaechi, who is cashing in on the division within the South East, to position himself for the plum appointment
Igbo Mandate Congress wishes to note that these men have contributed in one way or the other to move Nigeria forward.
1. Chief Rochas Okorocha had the foresight to drag a faction of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) into the Buhari-Tinubu alliance
2. Chief Dave Umahi, despite all odds, have proved from the Ebonyi State example, that a victimized Deputy Governor can defeat the candidate of a sitting governor, and emerge as a State Chief Executive-a feat not lost on lovers of democracy
3. Chief Anyim Pius Anyim, who through the act of God, benefitted from our protests after the 2011 elections, that Igbo be made Senate President which ex-President Jonathan compensated with an SGF slot
4. Chief Ike Ekweremadu, who through another act of God, secured a slot for the Igbo race in the 5th National Assembly, despite being in the opposition PDP
5. Chief Rotimi Amaechi, who refused Presidential impunity in Rivers State and set stage for a Southern platform of ‘Change’.
Igbo Mandate Congress believes that Chief Ogbonnaya Onu, a former National Chairman of All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), and a consistent member of the opposition since 1999 is ably qualified for the position. This Ebonyi State born former governor was part of those who helped form a coalition that led to the formation of the APC. He also helped some Igbos in the north to remain and cast votes for the opposition.
Igbo Mandate Congress believes that anybody can pursue his political ambition of being the SGF, and believes that Senator Chris Ngige and Prof Anthony Anwuka and indeed others are not inferior choices but ganging up against a particular person and putting undue pressures on the person of President Muhammadu Buhari to jettison his preferred choice, using instruments of blackmail, is not in the best interest of the Igbo race.
Igbo Mandate Congress is known worldwide as a stakeholder in the ‘Change’ being celebrated in Nigeria today, and participated in ensuring that Igbos in the North rejected some directives form Ohanaeze and compromised Igbo Leaders to vote for the expired “Transformational Agenda” in concert with Ohanaeze Ndigbo in the 19 Northern States and as such has the moral right to call erring leaders to order.
Igbos in the APC should pursue their ambitions without pulling down others. They should promote their preferred candidate without rubbishing the efforts of others. Let this mudslinging politics stop for once.
We have reliable information that President Buhari is wearied of all these recurring Igbo antics and may cede the position to another zone if the pressure becomes overbearing.
That was the nonsense that made Igbo produces five Senate Presidents in eight years while another zone (North Central) produced one senate President in eight years. Those misguided Igbo leaders must carefully avoid a situation whereby President Muhammadu Buhari wearied by scandalous lobbying cedes the coveted SGF position to another zone.
In the event that President Buhari cedes this position to another zone, and cries of marginalization starts, IMC will reveal all the details of the self-inflicted calamities and hold the players responsible. They must not gang up with the PDP to pull down Chief Ogbonnaya Onu before Buhari to become SGF or anything they wish.
Rev Obinna Akukwe
Director General, Igbo Mandate Congress (IMC)