Buhari condemns killing of Katsina vigilantes, condoles with families
Days after insurgents killed at least 40 vigilante personnel at Yargoje forest in Jibia, Katsina State, the President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack and condoled with their grieving families.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families in this difficult period. May Allah repose the soul of the deceased,” Buhari said in a statement signed on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu.
The statement is titled ‘President Buhari condemns horrific terrorist attack on Katsina Vigilantes.’
Earlier that day, locals had reported at the vigilante office in Bakori that unidentified gunmen attacked one Muntari and rustled several of his cattle.
Acting on the tip-off, the vigilantes traced the hoodlums to Gidan Gambo village in Kankara Local Government Area, where 340 school boys were abducted in December 2020.
However, some locals in border communities between Bakori and Kankara who are loyal to the insurgents informed them that the vigilantes were on their trail.
The vigilantes were then ambushed, with 41 killed and two others injured, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Gambo Isah, revealed.
According to Gambo, those killed were members of the outlawed Yansakai (volunteers) group from 11 villages in Bakori Local Government Area.
Bodies of the deceased were still being recovered as of Saturday evening, eyewitnesses said.
Nigeria’s northwestern state of Katsina has been the hotbed of terrorist attacks in recent years, with farmers being the worst hit.
The Maize Association of Nigeria said it lost about 60 farmers to terrorist attacks in 2021 alone.
Although the President has several times ordered the Armed Forces to seek and prosecute the terrorists perpetrating the killings, the attacks persist.