Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

AFCON: CAF moves quarter-final matches from Olembe Stadium after stampede

36

The Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final match due to be played at the Olembe Stadium in Yaounde on Sunday will be switched to another venue after Monday’s deadly crush, African football supremo Patrice Motsepe revealed and called for an investigation into the tragedy.

“The game that is scheduled for Olembe Stadium on Sunday…is going to take place at Ahmadou Ahidjo” stadium, also in Yaounde, said Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Motsepe at a press conference.

“There must be a committee set up to investigate what happened and to find out who was supposed to do what. We want that report by Friday,” the South African added, saying there would be “zero tolerance on circumstances which could result in people being injured or losing their lives”.

Eight people died and 38 were injured as fans attempted to enter the Olembe Stadium where the hosts Cameroon were playing the Comoros, according to figures released by the country’s health ministry.

President Paul Biya has ordered an investigation into the crush, “so that all light is shed on this tragic incident,” Cameroon’s communications minister said.

Although crowds at the 60,000-seat stadium had been limited to 60 percent of capacity for the tournament because of the coronavirus pandemic, the cap is raised to 80 percent when Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions play.

“Eight deaths were recorded, two women in their 30s, four men in their 30s, one child, one body taken away by the family,” said a preliminary health ministry report obtained by AFP.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: