Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Police detain father of Mummy Calm Down boy over the death of his mother


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

The father of the boy in the viral Mummy Calm Down video has been detained by the police following the suicide of his wife.

Toluige Olokoobi, the mother of Oreofeoluwa Lawal-Babalola of Mummy Calm Down fame, committed suicide a few days ago.

Oreofeoluwa became a nationwide sensation after a video went viral of him begging his mother to calm down and not punish him for a certain misdeed.

While weeping, he begged his mother ‘to be calming down’ while begging for one more chance so that he could escape punishment for the misdeed.

The video brought the family instant fame and the phrase ‘Be calming down’ became popular across the country.

Following the fame, the family was invited by the governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who used the theme of ‘calm down’ in his Eid-el-Kabir message to Muslim faithful in that year as he appealed to Lagos residents not to panic about the COVID-19 pandemic that was raging at the time.

The family was also featured by some brands to promote their products. In 2021, OreofeOluwa bagged a role in a movie by Kunle Afolayan.

The family has since gone on to be living their life out of public glare until an X user Samson, broke the news of the demise of the mother of the boy.

The X user, who said he was at the scene of the incident on Monday afternoon, added that Toluige had refused to share her problems with anyone before taking her own life.

“The woman in the viral Mummy Calm down video has just committed suicide here in Benin,” he wrote.

“She refused to speak to anyone about her problems. She left three kids for her husband including the popular Mummy Calm Down boy.”

The police have now confirmed the Toluige’s demise in a chat with BBC Pidgin.

Chidi Nwabuzor, the spokesman of the Edo State police command, said the husband of the deceased had been arrested and detained for questioning.

Nwabuzor said the husband reported the matter to the police.

The police spokesman quoted the husband to have said that “he came home from the market when he saw his wife hanging with rope on her neck”.

Nwabuzor said she was rushed to the hospital and then to the mortuary after she was confirmed dead.


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.