Demolition of illegal structures will continue — Lagos govt
The Lagos state government has said it will not bow to threats over its decision to demolish buildings blocking drainages despite threats and propaganda from some quarters.
The state government disclosed this on Thursday, Nov. 30, through the Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Mr. Tokunbo Wahab.
Wahab had earlier said a seven-day contravention notice had been issued to the owners of the buildings whose structures encroached the seven-meter drainage setback on Orchid Road, Agungi, Ajiran, Conservation Road, Osapa, and Oral Estate II along the Ikota River in the Lekki area of the state.
The state government said the contravention notice was issued following several stop-work notices served on the owners of the structures before stressing that the “enforcement will commence” upon expiration of the deadline.
There have been complaints that the demolition targeted a particular ethnic group in the country.
While reacting to this claim on his official X handle, Tokunbo Wahab said, “We are not going to bow to any propaganda, blackmail, or threat. No one can break the law and still benefit from it. The law will take its course. The era of ‘anyhowness’ is completely over!”