UPDATE: Many people were killed on Sunday in multiple bomb attacks in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. Sources at the State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri,
where most of the casualties of Sunday night multiple bomb blasts were taken to, said 55 corpses were deposited at the hospital’s mortuary.
He said, “We have received 55 corpses from yesterday’s multiple attacks at Ajilari. 85 persons were also brought in injured.”
He, however, did not rule out an increase in the number of casualties, explaining that the number has continued to grow since yesterday.
He said, “earlier this morning, we had 45 corpses which has now grown to 55 around midday.”
A member of the youth vigilance group, Abba Ahmed, explained that the attack on the mosque claimed over 30 lives and that it was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Another member of the youth vigilance group, Kaka Mustapha, told correspondents that their group had been called up to assist in evacuating the corpses of the victims of explosions at Ajilari cross.
Mustapha said the area was attacked by multiple bombs on Sunday evening at about 7.30pm.
According to him, the first two explosions were targeted at a mosque in Ajilari cross.
He said the bombs were planted in a mosque in the area and perhaps timed to coincide with the time of the late evening prayers.
He also revealed that another bomb exploded at a mini business district where people were shopping for dinner.
Mustapha said the third site where the explosion occurred was a game centre in the area where young people pay to play computer games and get their mobile phones charged.
He however said the number of casualties could not yet be ascertained at the time of responding to the questions of our correspondent on Sunday evening.
The police could not be reached at the time of filing this report.
OUR EARLIER REPORT
Boko Haram insurgents on Sunday, exploded three Improvised Devices Explosions [IEDs] in the Gomari and Ajilari areas of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
This was disclosed by Nigerian military spokesman, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman, who further added that, “the attacks signify [a] high level of desperation on the part of the Boko Haram terrorists.”
The latest Boko Haram attacks has prompted a 24 hour curfew on the capital, Maiduguri.
According to him, security agents as well as emergency management personnel had been drafted to the areas where the explosives were detonated.
“We would like to state that the Nigerian military would not be deterred in its determined efforts of defeating Boko Haram terrorists in the shortest possible time,” said Colonel Usman.
He urged the public to demonstrate more vigilance and security consciousness, adding that they should promptly report “suspicious persons or group of persons in their midst.”
The military spokesman stated that public cooperation “would enable the security [agents to] take appropriate measures” against the insurgents.
Colonel Usman said that the insurgents’ “previous attempts to attack and blow up Allau Dam was thwarted.”
© Copyright 2015 www.elombah.com
Send your reports/articles/eyewitness accounts to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on twitter handle @Elombah; Like our Facebook page: “Elombah.com”